Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh to be Nothing, Nothing...

Georgina Taylor Hymn:

"Oh, to be nothing, nothing, Only to lie at His feet, A broken and emptied vessel, For the Master’s use made meek. Emptied that He might fill me As forth to His service I go; Broken, that so unhindered, His life through me might show.

Refrain
Oh, to be nothing, nothing, Only to lie at His feet, A broken and emptied vessel, For the Master’s use made meek.

Oh, to be nothing, nothing, Only as led by His hand; A messenger at His gateway, Only waiting for His command; Only an instrument ready His praises to sound at His will, Willing should He not require me, In silence to wait on Him still.

Oh, to be nothing, nothing, Painful the humbling may be, Yet low in the dust I’d lay me That the world might my Savior see. Rather be nothing, nothing, To Him let our voices be raised, He is the Fountain of blessing, He only is meek(?) to be praised."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I remember coming across the first stanza to this hymn back when I was in Mongolia. The words so shook me that I wrote them on a notecard, stuck them to my clouded, chipped mirror and read them so often I memorized them. I have often recalled them, but didn't know there were subsequent lines to this hymn, nor do I even know who Georgina Taylor is (maybe relation to Hudson Taylor? I'll have to see...) Anyway - I first learned of it while reading some stuff either about or by Amy Carmichael.
Just today, the words popped back in my head and I decided to find them once again via google. Some random brother in Christ had posted them on his blog, so I copied and pasted them on mine. God's been recently working in me a greater understanding of humility, largely in part to rereading Andrew Murray's book, "Humility". I highly recommend this small, but deeply profound little book. It has turned me upside down and inside out. I pray the inward change I feel begins to reveal itself in outward actions so that, in the words of the hymn, "the world might my Savior see."
I hope these beatiful penned words encourage you as they have me over the past several years. Looks like I have a bit more memorizing to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment