Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Read it. Know it. Remember it. Speak it.

I just heard the beginning of this John Piper sermon called "My Words Shall Abide in You" and he began by quoting several large portions of scripture. I was challenged. How much more powerful would the church be if we all started memorizing scripture and then actually spoke it out loud?? I mean to have it so readily on your tongue that at the blink of an eye you could authoritatively throw it in the devil's face, instantaneoulsy causing him a blow he cannot overcome. (For the dragon was overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony...Rev. 12:11) That's how Jesus fought back in the wilderness under intense temptation. He knew the Word...He is the Word. And then to be able to just speak scripture to friends, family, strangers, neighbors, the hurting, the lost. To just incorporate it into conversation...maybe even unbeknownst to them. OH! To know the Word of God and have it hidden in my heart that at the overflow of my heart my mouth would speak! How much more powerful and LIFE giving would it be for me to verbalize not the words of Shawna, but the VERY words of Jesus, the Son of the Living God. We have chapters upon chapters of His spoken words right at our fingertips. How much closer we would be to our Lord if we not only read His words every now and then, but if we knew them by heart...and then spoke them into this world. John Piper reminded us that this world is ruled by a Liar. All scripture is God-breathed - His very breath and truth into this world of darkness, confusion, deceipt and mistrust. When we speak it, it's like shafts of gleaming bright light - piercing the darkness (remember that great visual book by Peretti?) So let's start proclaiming it, fellow warrior princesses :) And say it to me, even, if you will. I'd love to hear the Truth drench my life. Even God says He will speak it out. I love the LORD's words in Isaiah 45:19 (NLT) "I publicly proclaim bold promises. I do not whisper obsurities in some dark corner so no one can understand what I mean. And I did not tell the people of Israel to ask me for something I did not plan to give. I, the LORD, speak only what is true and right."

No comments:

Post a Comment