Saturday, June 6, 2009

Diligent to preserve the unity

What if the Body of Christ was really all about unity. And unity was fostered by complete, Christlike humility in every believer? What would that look like? The idea that we belong to one another. That living in unity - no, not just living, but pursuing and constantly moving towards unity is how we walk in a manner worthy of the calling with thich we have been called. (Eph 4:1-3) Our pastor brought to attention in a recent sermon how in John 17, Jesus prayed for all believers (that's means you and me) during his last hours on earth. And for what did our Savior petition the Father? For joy? peace? contentment? protection? No. For unity. He prayed that we would all be united. He prayed, "...that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent me." And then a verse later He adds, "I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved me." (John 17:24) Of all the things He could have prayed, He prioritized unity among the Brethren. It seems the American church has largely missed the boat on this one. We're too caught up in individualized spirituality. We're too entangled in pride. But let me preface that by saying, I am too entangled in pride. I have for too long considered the gifts of the Spirit (i.e. evangelism, prophesy, apostleship, pastoring, teaching, etc... see Eph 4:11) to be a special gift from Him to me. But if you keep reading in Eph 4:12, the gifts are actually for the equipping of the saints to the building up of the Body of Christ. They're for the church and for the lost world. When you think about it this way, it somehow puts a stronger emphasis on the importance of unity. It is absolutely essential for the church to be and do what it is ordained by God to do. So then, what does it look like? How do we "attain to the unity of the faith" (Eph 4:13). I think it starts by being poor in Spirit. By putting on Christ and growing up into Him, our head (4:15) It's by believing that the Father loves us even as He loves the Son (John 17:23) - and because of this we are free to experience true selflessness, by His grace and power. My thoughts are muddled now on such a profoundly deep and life changing topic. My three year old is being naughty to get my attention and my one year old is crying in her crib. So, I leave you to disect this on your own. May the Spirit give us wisdom and insight from the Father's very heart. May His grace lift us up. May our unbelief be demolished by strong faith and may we sink to deeper levels of humility in Christ than we've ever known before...that we might be diligent to preserve the unity of the saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment